The district was built in the XIIth century on the former bank of the Seine. Having been dried up, swamps were put in culture by religious communities and transformed into kitchen garden for the city of Paris. The religious and military order of the Knight Templars installed establishments there. The district knew its golden age at the beginning of the 17th century, when king Henri IV decided to build a sublime square dedicated to the stroll: the place des Vosges (inaugurated in 1612).
Spared during the Haussmann restructuration of Paris, it is a district of an exceptional architecture where we can find a large number of luxurious mansions from the 17th century, which shelters today mainly museums.
It is also one of the trendiest districts of Paris with its museums, art galleries, boutiques, tearooms, restaurants, coffees and shops.
Over the centuries the Marais has known euphoric periods and others more nostalgic. Becoming alternately a very smart residential, favored by the aristocrats and the crowned heads, and a district sinks to be avoid.