The Conciergerie is situated within the current Law court of Paris, on the Ile de la Cité, very close to the cathedral Notre-Dame. Between 1242 and 1248, Louis IX (Saint-Louis) added to the Palais de la Cité the Sainte-chapelle, to put diverse relics of the Passion of which the Crown of thorns. In the XIVth century, Charles V decides to leave this palace for the Louvre and confides the administration to a bursar, or Caretaker. From then on, his function of court and prison is strengthened. The revolutionary Court settles down there in 1793 and the Conciergerie will become the high place of the Terror promoted by Robespierre. Thousands of prisoners will be locked there, of whom Marie-Antoinette.
The Conciergerie remains one of the last testimonies of the Gothic architecture of the XIIIth and XIVth century within the capital.